Search Me

Sunday, September 23, 2007

A poem shared...

The Taste


I tasted you the moment we met

Our eyes meeting… the tranquil waters of the ocean

our hands touching… strong and worn like the Earth herself

our lips forming words and smiles… a private dance shared between us

And then we parted, nothing left but the sweetness to savor

You knew nothing, it was my own private taste, my own private moment

I was cute, and shy… always “cute” and “shy”

You were proud and beautiful… like a mountain that needs nothing more than to be, to display its glory.

What hope had I that that single taste would become a feast

But I would taste you again, your essence a vivid memory on my tongue

And so we did meet again and again, mingling and parting

Eyes, hands, lips… all practicing for some other destined occasion

And you, becoming a craving, the desired main course for a starving woman

After a time, I had lost hope of quenching my thirst of you

as your flavor seemed to get lost on my tongue,

nothing more than a vague memory… an aftertaste

I began resigning myself to a life of fast food and leftovers

Oh, I had tasted… dined… on others

But none could compare to your flavor, water to honeyed mead

or perhaps it was your flavor mingled with my own

that created some epicurean delight that my senses could not let go of

And just as I had reconciled my life to TV dinners and mac and cheese… there you are

Eyes, hands, lips, coming to mingle and dance once more

Letting me taste you again, and again

Floating on my tongue like sweet ambrosia

Our meeting, glances and gazes…

Our touching, hands, shoulders, backs, thighs…

Our dance, the words and smiles,

Go late into the night

And you remain, the taste becoming an appetizer… a prelude of the dinner yet to come

Then a single promise… dance… kiss

And as if we had practiced enough,

I tasted you, and drank you whole.

No comments: